Monday, December 31, 2012

Farewell 2012...

2012 was a crazy year - maybe that's what everyone says at the end of a year, but I certainly do feel that way about the past one. The end of the year is always such a bittersweet time - looking back on past events (both good and bad), and looking ahead and setting goals.

Here are some highlights from the past year:


Starting in the upper left hand corner and going clockwise:
1. I bought my first baritone saxophone! I played one all through high school, but never owned one. I started playing in the community band again this summer - it felt great!
2. I learned how to shoot a gun this year. E and his dad helped me out a lot.
3. I "came out" as an atheist last January. This was a big step for me, and has really felt good.
4. E and I went to the Reason Rally in Washington, DC. This was my first trip to DC. It was amazing to be surrounded by so many people that believe the same way that I do.
5. This is just a picture of E & I that I really like. We were at Stone Park in Sioux City, IA.
6. Soggy Doggy - the pool had a fundraiser for the Humane Society where dogs could come swim at the pool. I had some moments geeking out over my fur-baby's first swim.
7. Autism Speaks Walk - my team raised over $13,000 for Autism Speaks! Amazing!
8. E & I volunteered for Spooky Science Night - a night that incorporated two of our favorite things - science and Halloween. Kids came through and learned about science and did science experiments, all the while in costume. It was an amazing time and I look forward to doing it again!
9. Adopt-A-Highway: Our secular group adopted a highway and it was very exciting when our sign was erected!
10. E & I attended a Nascar race in Kansas City in October. We usually go once a year, and it is such a great time. I can't explain the excitement and energy there is at one of these races.
11. A picture of E in DC. I think this photo is hilarious - it totally looks photoshopped, but it isn't!
12. Midwest Freethought Conference in Omaha - this is always a great time. E & I attended this in August.
13. I held a falcon! This might not seem like a huge deal, but I'm afraid of birds, so this was HUGE!
14. My niece, Zoey, was born. I love this little monkey!
15. Front and center - this is one of my favorite pictures of E & I. I think it shows how goofy and odd we are. :)

So that was 2012. With the end of the year comes planning ahead for the next year. Here are some things I plan to accomplish:

  • I want to cook more. I absolutely love cooking, and I want to branch out and try new things. I also want to cut down on eating out quite a bit.
  • I want to make our house more of a home, rather than just a place where we keep our stuff. This place needs to be E & M-ified - see my post about my home decor ideas here
  • I want to participate in the Sioux Glow 5K event. It's a 5K at night, where everyone decks out in glow in the dark gear!
  • As always, E & I hope to expand our family. However, with our difficulties, this does seem somewhat out of our hands, but we will do everything in our power to make this happen. I'm really hoping that 2013 is the year.
Here's to 2013! Cheers! <3 M

No comments:

Post a Comment