Thursday, January 10, 2013

Kitchen Aid Garlic Mozzarella Loaf

Ever since I got my amazing Kitchen Aid stand mixer for Christmas, I just want to use it all the time. Like every single day. I can't help it - that thing is a rock star. I really can't sing its praises enough. If you don't have one, I'm sorry. I mean, I really am sorry. It does everything - mixes perfectly, so many speeds, shreds meats, kneads bread... the list goes on. One of the many fantastic things you can do with your Kitchen Aid is make Garlic Mozzarella Loaf.

This stuff is dangerous!

You'll need...
  • 1 envelope active dry yeast
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • salt (I used about 3 grinds from my grinder. Probably around 1 teaspoon)
  • olive oil 
  • mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • garlic
  • oregano
  • basil
  • parsley 
Stir together yeast, 1 cup warm water, and honey. I just put this right into the Kitchen Aid bowl. Let yeast proof for 5 minutes - the honey gives the yeast something to munch on. A bubbly foam should form on the surface of the water. If it does, your yeast is good to go. Add flour, salt, and remaining 1/4 cup water in, mixing on low speed (I used the dough hook for this). The dough is thoroughly mixed once it is clinging to the hook and not sticking to the sides of the bowl. Let the Kitchen Aid knead the dough for an additional 5 minutes. Grease a mixing bowl and put the dough in it. Cover with a dish towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.

1 hour later, punch that bitch down (I'm talking about the dough). This is really the best part of making bread. Feeling mad, sad, angry... make some bread, punch some dough. :) Separate dough into two portions and form each one into a long loaf. You could make one big loaf, but as I'm usually only cooking for me and the hubs, I like to freeze one loaf. Put these loaves on a cookie sheet, cover, and let raise for 45 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for 20 minutes. 

While it's baking, you're going to want to whip up your garlic butter sauce. This part is a bit sketch, because I don't ever measure spices. I just throw stuff in until it looks/smells/tastes good. This always works for me, but I realize it may be a little nerve-wracking for those of you who don't trust your 6th spice adding sense. Melt the butter down to a liquid in the microwave and add a generous amount of garlic, basil, oregano, and parsley. Also, slice your mozzarella into thin slices.

Once you've removed the bread from the oven, brush with the garlic butter sauce. Really slather that on - this is no time to count calories. Return to oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool long enough that you can slice it without it deflating. 

Once the bread has cooled enough, make slice marks half way through the loaf, horizontally about 1 inch apart (don't cut all the way through). Slather with garlic butter sauce (making sure to let it drizzle down into those cuts) and place mozzarella slices in the incisions. Put in oven until cheese melts. Serve warm.

This stuff is tasty, and goes great with pasta. It also tastes fantastic with an olive oil/herb drizzle. 

Happy baking!

<3 M


No comments:

Post a Comment