Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Simple Color Pop Picture Frames

Lately, I've been very into bright pops of color and contrasting colors. Color definitely perks up the place, and adding color is also a great way to give something old some new life. I've seen some adorable brightly painted picture frames at Hobby Lobby, however the price was definitely not adorable. I decided to create some of my own.

I started out with some ugly  picture frames that I had found on rummage sales. I'm pretty sure I paid 50 cents for the gold one and 75 cents for the other one. You'll want to find frames that have some carving or design imprinted on them.


Ugly right? :) 

I then took them apart - removed the back and the glass and spray painted the frames. I chose a bright aqua color. I didn't use a primer, and the paint on the frames has held up. I did choose the $5 spray paint over the cheapy 97 cent spray paint - in the past I've found that the cheap kind doesn't really cover  much of anything well.


 

Here's how they looked after the spray paint - the color is kind of washed out in these photos - it's much brighter in real life. I used 2 coats of spray paint on these.

After they've dried completely, add photos and enjoy!



I chose to use black and white wedding photos in mine. After doing these, I really want to do a variety of black and white photos in colored frames - I'm thinking a mustard yellow, hot pink, and orange! I'll definitely be on the lookout for more ugly frames at yard sales and thrift stores! You could also do chalk board or cork board in the frames. 

Simple, cost-effective, and adorable. Win, win, win.

<3 M











No comments:

Post a Comment