Sunday, September 9, 2012

An A+ for Atheism Plus

I realize that I am a little behind on blogging about Atheism+. I blame this on my recent switch to Blogger - while I was in the process of switching blogs, Atheism+ was being created. 

What is Atheism+? According to the Atheism Plus website:

"Atheism+ is a safe space for people to discuss how religion affects everyone and to apply skepticism and critical thinking to everything, including social issues like sexism, racism, GLBT issues, politics, poverty, and crime."
Jen McCreight, of Blag Hag describes it as: 

"We are…Atheists plus we care about social justice,Atheists plus we support women’s rights,Atheists plus we protest racism,Atheists plus we fight homophobia and transphobia,Atheists plus we use critical thinking and skepticism.It speaks to those of us who see atheism as more than just a lack of belief in god. "
Atheism+ is something that I can really get behind. For me, my Atheism is important, but I feel that as Atheists, we also have a responsibility to our Earth and our fellow humans. We have a responsibility to fight against the censorship and hatred towards other groups of people as well, since we know what it feels like and we know that it's not okay. I've never understood how someone can use reason and logic to get to the point where they can say that there isn't a god, but then turn around and express homophobic, sexist, bigoted views. 
Now of course, there's the argument that this is no different that Secular Humanism. I disagree, although there are similarities between these two schools of thought. According to Wikipedia:
"The philosophy or life stance secular humanism (alternatively known by adherents as Humanism, specifically with a capital H to distinguish it from other forms of humanism) embraces human reasonethicssocial justicephilosophical naturalism, while specifically rejecting religious dogmasupernaturalismpseudoscience or superstition as the basis of morality and decision-making."
Ok, so far so good. However, Atheism+ takes all of that and pairs it with the "A-word" that so many secular humanists avoid. We are Atheists PLUS we care about (insert humanistic causes here). Atheism+ is a more amped up, in your face, not afraid to confront the religious, version of secular humanism. 

For me, this new wave of Atheism, Atheism+ is the way to go. I think that my friend Josh sums it up best:
"Call it what you will, but if you're a racist, misogynistic a-hole, or in general a terrible person, you're probably getting kicked out or dis-invited from whatever I'm a part of organizing. Maybe Atheism+ is just recognizing that there are jerks within our own ranks and just because we agree there is no god doesn't mean we want assholes to be associated with our movement." 
And with that, I bid you adieu.
<3 M



No comments:

Post a Comment